Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Christmas Snowbird Applique Template


Last week I shared the introduction of my Home Sweet Home applique sampler, and it would appear that this sweet little bird is not only my favorite, but yours as well... so, why make you wait until May, right? You can now find the PDF applique template set in my Payhip shop for this sweet Christmas Snowbird, perched on wintery branches and berries (snowflakes not included). 



The PDF includes both the bird and the branches & berries templates, and I wanted to play around with a few design possibilities using those shapes. The following designs, are ideas and inspiration for projects, but assembly instructions are not included in the template set:

Firstly, I started off with a focal pieced star, flanked by log cabin blocks. I added a simple star applique to connect the branches and berries. (a star applique can easily be found with a simple online search)


Of course, I love how a project can take on a totally different look just by a couple color changes... Christmas hasn't been exclusively red and green for quite some time now, and I love that by adding soft aquas to the mix, give these Winter Snowbirds a much softer feel. (again, simple heart applique shapes can be found with an online search)


I also wanted to experiment with more applique shapes, and decided to try out an applique center instead of the pieced center. Here the leaves from the applique set could be used, and only straight branches and a center circle are needed

  
By bringing the applique birds closer together as the focal point, and adding more applique branches and berries, the shapes take on a wreath like look, framing the sweet, little pair.


I usually work with low volume backgrounds, and find that they often make the other fabrics pop because of the high contrast. These shades of grey give the whole project a very subtle and understated look for Christmas.



... and again in aqua. I really think that some of the non-traditional color schemes could really be used year round.


For a slightly larger project, I decided to play around with combining the applique branches with a simple wedding ring/pickledish block. I love combining traditional piecing and applique. There are so many free online blocks that could be used for this. (this free pattern could be simplified for this layout too)

 
... need a little more inspiration? stay tuned for a little project reveal of my own tomorrow... what will you make with your Christmas Snowbirds set?

4 comments :

  1. How very cute are those holiday projects?! I love how versatile you can use the birdies. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything you've done with your sweet Christmas snowbirds! Adorable. How can I resist?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Allison,
    I love this little bird. My favorite version is the grey one. Though the bird with orange belly, which reminds me of a robin, is also very sweet.
    Best Mareike

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's quite some fun arrangements you have come up with.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails