Monday, August 16, 2010

Weekend Treats

I'm looking forward to the day when I can plop my little one up on the counter top so he can quench his curiosity and see exactly what it is that his mommy does in the kitchen. When I was a little girl, I would always help my mom while she was cooking or baking and she would narrate everything she did. By the time I went to college, she felt that she had failed miserably as a mom because she thought that I didn't know how to cook. What she didn't know is that I had actually listened to the things that she said, but for fear that I would have to start cooking the evening meals, I never told her that I knew how.

This weekend I had a good friend and her two daughters for an afternoon visit. I thought that they would really enjoy baking something, just like I did with my mom all those years ago. So while walking the little one in the garden this last week, I had the idea to pick the red current berries (Johannisbeeren) before the season passed me by. The four of us plucked and talked and laughed enjoying the last of our summer weather, excited for the tasty treats that were to follow.

I actually picked this recipe up from my mother-in-law and I love how simple, light, and tasty it is. Puff pastries (blätterteig), filled with berries, and a tangy lemon juice and powdered sugar icing... divine and much easier than the jelly that I made last year!

Before I knew it, the yummy treats had been devoured and only one lonely pastry was left as evidence as just how good they were. Lucky for my husband there were a few extra berries to do a second batch. What a lucky man!

3 comments :

  1. When my eldest son was little, he would go and stay with my mum... liked helping her peel and help cook ... He is now a chef, with lots of Awards .. He is in the Royal Airforce as a chef,..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so yummy! Will have to try this recipe out; I love red currents, but never get them because I only have a jelly recipe (and that's just too much darn work!). . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how I missed this entry, but these look devine. You should share the recipe. Pretty please!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails