Friday, August 27, 2010

Little Black Dress

It only takes two minutes of time or less on my blog and one can clearly tell that color is "my thing". My dad is an artist, and growing up there were always splashes of color everywhere... he talked about how to use it, how to find other complementary colors for it, shades and tones, and what interest it can bring to just about anything. I can't escape it, and I don't want to. Sometimes I'm not sure if it is Germany, the big city, or just living in the North, but color really isn't the thing here. Classic black = chic. And while I agree with that for the most part, I just can't sever the fact that at the core of me that my soul cries out for color...

... which is why I was somewhat disappointed when I came home from shopping for an evening gown for the wedding with... you guessed it, a little black dress.


So in a search for that perfect pop of color for my boring black dress, I stumbled onto the website for My Pretty Little Things, which was my inspiration for the rest of my accessories. Bethan was so lovely and even shipped to Germany in a sweetly and carefully wrapped package... stunning!

One good thing that I was able to put away the boy/tractor fabrics for a while and trade them in for elegant silks and taffeta's and a little sparkle. I simply could not go to the wedding without something that I made, now could I?!?...

But now that Cinderella has had her time at the ball, it's time to come back to reality... sigh!

4 comments :

  1. Allison - gorgeous! Love the accessories! The peacock feather is ingenious, nice job on being brave enough to choose it; I bet it looked fabulous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the big city and it is Germany. I once stayed at a designer family in France and they told me that the only clothes they sell to Germans are either blue and black. And I tried to wear really colorful cloths here but since everyone always looked at me as if I was some sort of alien, I am now wearing blue most of the time :)
    I think that there are a lot of women that are fed up with what they find in stores so that's why a lot of people are making their own cloths(and why everyone seem to have an embroidery machine...)

    By the way, I love those peacock feathers and the bag you made! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right about color in Germany! We just got back from Italy and even the water hoses were delightful shades of blue. Color was everywhere on everything. But, it looks like you did a great job kickin' your black dress up a notch!! Loved the peacock feather and beaded purse...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree with you on the color thing. I am used to it now, but I remember when we first moved here how depressing I thought it was that nobody wore color. I still do! And lovin' the peacock feather!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails