Wednesday, July 22, 2009

"Corner View" Friday, Saturday, Sunday 7:45

Although it is not an everyday thing for me, this past Friday I decided to have an all out "cook-until-you-drop" fest. Just after breakfast I picked juicy, ripe, berries from our overloaded red current bush (Johannesbeeren) that we had discovered last year when we purchased the house. I let them sit in sugar all day, made a storm of other recipes in between with fresh herbs from the garden, only to finish my very first batch of jam just about the 7:45 mark. While washing the berries, I stumbled upon a little friend who I can only assume wanted to help... no worries, I found a better home for my slow moving friend (other than the cooking pot).

Of course my jelly-loving German husband has already put a pretty good dent in the first jar.

Saturday evening was a time-at-home-together evening for my husband and I... and what better way to enjoy the evening than with a real, original "American Steak".

One of my favorite side dishes for a big, thick, juicy steak are sweet potatoes. Even though I live in the "land of potatoes", I am always dumbfounded when the cashier has to ask her colleague a number for the strange, orange vegetable that she has not idea what it is... I always have to reveal the mystery.

Sundays are our slow days, and since our church services are held in the evenings, we usually... sleep in, start the morning with bacon, eggs, and croissants... and just relax. But there is just something about going to church... it somehow makes my week feel complete.

One of my favorite after church activities is watching a weekly series by "Rosemunde Pilcher"... for those of you who are not German, this is one of those series for women where there is usually some drama, a couple falls madly in love in the first week, perhaps only even a day, and then dramatically declare their love for another in an over-the-top and exaggerated nonsense kind of way. The story lines are usually pretty predictable and the acting is a far cry from and Oscar award... so why do I watch, you might ask? Because it is one of the few things that that I can watch on T.V. and just relax without having to focus and concentrate just to understand what is being said.



Curious about other "Corner View" weekends? Visit Jane at Spain Daily for more weekend fun.

21 comments :

  1. Lot's of food this w.e. !!! Great post !

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi allison! omg the food, the food, the food! everything looks delicious! how funny that you have "american" steaks! love it! besos! jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. american steaks! like the American toast bread =) always makes me smile. nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lucky discovery! Homemaking weekends are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i LOVE the photo of the snail traversing berries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The snail is so cute! Steak and sweet potatoes is one of my rare indulgences as well. I believe it is so important to have a slow day of rest and I always feel good after going to church too. Thankfully our services don't start until 11:00 so I can still sleep in a bit. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for jam! A passion of mine, so this post excited me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the food you described and showed in pictures, made my mouth salivate! Yum! What an awesome way to spend your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very sweet post! I love to hear more about your jam/jelly. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. That jam looks great! I have just made my very first strawberry jam. Norway is also a land of potatoes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. a cook until you drop fest is a good thing ;-) also that you found berries in your garden. and oh, rosamunde pilcher, i'm in love with cornwall and i liked to watch it, just because they always drink tea in pretty gardens with a wonderful nature around. wish you a happy week*

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the real american beef. very cute.

    mister snail must have been so so tiny. lov that pictured.

    and p.s. when i lived in hamburg (and spoke hardly a word of german) i, too, would flip on that kind of show and just zone. you know exactly what is happening.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the food pictures.
    Yummy post - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcher Sender strahlt noch Rosamunda aus?
    Und wo ist die neue Zuhause von die Schnecke?

    Grüße aus Essen ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love to read about your "strange" german life. It's very funny, what's all remarkable in our normal german daylife ;-))
    Johannisbeermarmelade is also one of my favorites, have to cook some this year again. Have a good tme!
    Katharina

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dot, ich glaube das ist auf dem Ersten oder zweiten Programm, Sonntag abends um 20:15. Keine sorge, mein kleiner Freund hat ein neues Zuhause im Garten.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your corner view! We love homemade jam too! Our figs are almost ready and I cannot wait to make jam!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow. . i've yet to find good sweet potatoes in this part of Italy. good for you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails