Monday, April 20, 2009

"Project Month" Fabric Covered Box

We are in the process of organizing my office and in addition to all my personal sewing fabrics, books, buttons, hardware, other supplies, not to mention entire bolts of fabric, I have a shelf where I store my packing enevelopes for my online orders. I just have not been satisfied with this practical, but very plain, plastic box that I store them in. I orginally got the idea for fabric covered boxes from the blog of Laura Gunn (this is Heather Bailey's sister-in-law) and have altered it a bit to fit my project.

1. Measure the size of the box that you want to cover and add 1/4 inch (ca. 1/2cm) to the sides of the fabric as well as the top and bottom to allow for the seams.

2. Cut four rectangles of your main fabric as well as four rectangles in a plain cotton muslin. You can use a coordinating fabric if you would like, but for my project I decided on something plain since it will not be seen. In addition, cut a large rectangle the length and width of your other rectangles. Ex. My rectangels measure 6 1/2 in. high x 12 1/2 in. long (17cm x 32cm) for the short side of the box, and 6 1/2in. high x 15 1/2 in. long (17cm x 39cm) for the long side of the box. So my large rectangle is 12 1/2 in. wide x 15 1/2 in. long. (32cm x 39 cm) Fabric is from Jane Sassaman's Prairie Gothic line found here.

3. Sew the four rectangles of the main fabric together to create one long band and iron seams. (long, short, long, short in the case of a rectangle box) Repeat this step with the muslin or coordinating fabric also ironing the seams.

4. Placing right sides together, match the seams of the main fabric band with the seams of the muslin fabric band, pin together, sew, and iron seams.

5. Match side seams, placing right sides together, and sew together to create a tube.

6. Pin the large rectangle to the bottom of the tube matching the seams with the corners of the rectangle. Sew into place.

7. Turn fabric under ca. 1/4in and run a zig-zag stich to finish the hem.

8. Place into position in your box or crate and you're done.
You may want to tack the fabric into place and can also use pretty buttons as a nice accect if desired.

4 comments :

  1. Ok Allison! You´ve been added. See you tomorrow!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the result! It matches perfectly with your elephant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! Thanks for the directions on how to..!

    Jen Ramos
    'Cards & Prints You'll Love...'
    www.madebygirl.com
    madebygirl.blogspot.com-

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails