Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Broken Record Sewing + Free Template


Sometimes it's easy to get into a rut, right? I would think that it is safe to say that every blogger, at some point or another, has probably reached a broken record phase. You know, I keep working with the same colors, making the same favorite pattern over and over, or preaching about the same topic... well, I hope that your patience has not run its course when it comes to me sharing, yet again, a few more mini mini's... but if I include another free template, are you still with me?!?


This round of mini's has been all about slow stitching. I've been told that my work reflects a certain attention to detail, and I've always loved adding little embellishments, doilies, and do-dad's to my projects... I'm not talking about kitsch here (hee, hee for my German readers... kitsch is in the English language too!), but simply extra touches.


My mini phase has not just been about jumping on the latest craze bandwagon, but actually about testing out color combinations that I might not ordinarily pick, trying quilting techniques that I've never done before, and simply experimenting with things that I might not trust myself on for bigger projects. While I am not a beginner sewer, I am a beginner quilter, and such little projects have been the perfect opportunity for me to test the waters.



To use this Mini Mini Foliage template, you might want to refer to my tutorial on reverse applique if you have never tried this technique before. The steps are essentially the same, except I had stitched two fabrics together for the leaf instead of using a solid. Then I made a thin binding strip for the center and stitched it on after the leaves had been added. I had thought that this would be fun to make a longer row of leaves together for a bigger project... I might have to add it to the list



And just so you know, next week things will return to normal size projects AND coming soon another finished quilt reveal! 

How about you... do you get in a rut when it comes to your sewing projects? Do you stick with the same colors or patterns? Do you have your own sewing soapbox?

Linking up this week to WIP Wednesday and Let's Bee Social 

14 comments :

  1. How could anyone tire of your mini mini's ????? They are all so pretty! Love the addition of the Perle Cotton details. And thanks so much for sharing the template. And all the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the embellish embroidery stitching...those leaves are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay I could write paragraphs in response to your question, lol! I do, in fact, get caught up in what I simply call phases, or obsessions...coasters, chickens, bracelets, etc...each is like you say, an experiment in colors and fabrics. But I have also come to consider myself a bit of a "uniform" sort, as I look back over my life, there is a sameness to things I do, wear, cook etc...call it habit, routine or rut...I fit that bill, for sure. And it wasn't until I lived out here in gumbo country with 20+ miles of slippery, death-defying 2 track that I really embraced "the rut"...it is what keeps me on the road, both literally and figuratively! So, While the thrillseekers and adventurers wing their ways improvisationally and experimentally through life, and sewing...I will remain quite happily, right here in my safe and slippery ruts, right in the middle of the road :) haha! How's THAT!!! hehe! And your minis are so so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I try to stay flexible in my colour choices and I never make the same pattern twice. However, I have always gone to quilt shows and have noticed through the years that there are times when one can tell who made the quilt by the colours in the quilt - or the pattern choice. I would find that way too boring for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your mini mini's! Its been a while since I made one, but I still look on IG all the time! Yes to getting in a rut! It happens. I like pulling out a color combination/fabric and make it into several things...after all, the fabric was already out...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Applique is something that is new to me but I've never done reverse applique--pinned your technique. Curious about the threads you use for the handstitching--what do you use? All the applique I've done has been by machine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooo Alison! I love your minis! I just got out a book I've had for years on Mini Quilts....FUN!
    ~Dori

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is another gorgeous mini mini - how could we not like it?!! I have done reverse applique but I just might test it out on something like this - thanks for the template. Your additional handstitching is just lovely - it really adds something to a piece when there's that little extra.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so sweet! Love the mix of FMQ and hand stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your minis - especially the last one with the leaves! I can well imagine this pattern for a larger quilt or wallhanging! Another pattern for my bucket list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so pretty. Love the colours, the handstitching. Sometimes trying something new is a good thing, we all get stuck in a rut at times, and this refreshes our minds for the next wave of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For me, getting stuck in a rut usually means I'm not sewing. I can handle going back to the same colour palette or patterns, as long as I'm sewing. I've definitely used swaps to kick start my creativity and pull myself out of a rut. These minis were a great chance to try new things and push myself a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been attracted to "writing" on fabrics, whites especially, for some time so your minis interested me for that reason alone. Putting the stem on last is something that Edyta Sitar has done from the beginning of her career. So needless to say, I really like both of these minis.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails