Friday, May 28, 2010

Mai Favoriten

There are two things that I love about Germany in May that were never really knew until I moved here. I've raved about Spargelzeit (white asparagus season) before, but find that I cannot rave enough about the national meal that is a favorite this time of year. A squeal of delight always seems to come out when I see the very first strawberry booth of the season because I know the yumminess that follows... white asparagus and strawberries! In the States, green asparagus was the vegetable of choice, with white being completely unknown. (even though I had seen it in the stores before)

A very important note to those who have never eaten white asparagus and are possibly inspired to try it... you MUST peel it first! For any German reading this, the first thought that might come to mind is... "of course you peel it!?!", but this is not necessarily for the traditional green asparagus eater. My parents had quite a bad experience the first time they ate white asparagus because they assumed that you prepare it the same way as green... needless to say, they explained that they did not like it and could not see what all the hype was about over a stringy, tasting-like-a-pineapple-with-the-peel vegetable.

In May, spargel is deliciousness for the tummy, but Raps (canola) is candy for the eyes... oh, how beautiful. So, I married into a "farming family"...
that means lots of talks about tractors, combine harvesters, and all kinds of things that I am quite frankly not interested in. Despite my general disinterest in all those things, one particular crop has captured my attention. It is so beautiful to travel the countryside in Northern Germany in May... literally fields of gold everywhere.

I told my father-in-law recently that if I were a farmer, I would like to be a sunflower or other flower farmer... how could one ever be in a bad mood being surrounded with such splendor?!?

7 comments :

  1. A very cheery post indeed... yes how could you not be happy when surrounded with such beauty :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I never heard of Spargel before moving here. It's all the rave! I personally didn't like it but I'm picky. Love all the color this Spring...such a nice change in season! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey... i love these pictures and you're right being surrounded by such vibrance has to be good for the soul.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallo Allison!
    Habe heute deine Einladung zu "Park&Garden" bekommen, dankeschön :o) Habe eigentlich vor, zu kommen, sonntags. Es sei denn, es regnet junge Hunde :o) Wenn ich komme, besuche ich Euch auf jeden Fall am stand.
    Bis dann hoffentlich
    lg. Beate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola Allison,
    tolle Rapsfelderbilder + ich liebe Spargel. Wir kennen uns von Anjas Open house. Letzten Dezember.
    Liebe Grüße aus Hamburg Doris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, here we are also eating white and green asparragus...delicious.
    Have you tryied them after cooking them, opening putting some jam or cheese and pasing first in flour and them in egg. And frying...delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband would be drooling. I too would love to be a sunflower with my face always towards the sun.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails