Wednesday, July 8, 2009

"Corner View" Places of Reflection

I am a social butterfly. I like people. And while at times I enjoy being alone, I am not the type of person that must have that special place far away to retreat to. Many times, it is just a few simple corners in my home where I take the time to reflect, contemplate, and refresh.

Often in the mornings I drink my second cup of tea in my favorite chair and take time to ponder. It is in the corner of my living room at just the right angle to enjoy the room and with a view into the garden. When I first moved to Germany, my husband wanted me to bring things that would make me feel at home... and I find that those familiar things around me do just that.

For me the garden is also that special place of reflection... hands deep in the dirt feeling the fresh cool earth between my fingers, enjoying the silence of being outside with birds hopping back and forth singing their sweet melodies, being inspired by the colors, shapes, and variety of nature, and marveling at the resiliency of flowers and plants.

But I would have to say that my deepest and most reflective times are when I am creating. I feel alive when I create. Whether it is the repetitive hum of the sewing machine to make purses, placemats, or other special projects or the tedious and steady work of shaping metals and combining them with natural stones... this is how I find my therapy, my solace, my quiet, and while often that place might be just in my work room, outside in the garden, or even on the sofa, it is that one place that I go to just be.

Visit Jane at Spain Daily for more places of meditation and reflection.

18 comments :

  1. Wonderful post. I also think that creating is a good way of reflecting. I'm deep in my thoughts when I knit. It brings me also relaxation.

    Thank you for sharing,
    Kasia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you !! Those flowers are amazing !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet and nices "places"... Somtimes I like to imagine how ants can think... That a part of you show us...

    ReplyDelete
  4. guess we should have some tea..
    my friends call me a social butterfly , nice to find a second one

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the words, love the picutures.. I feel like I was exploring your house with you while you told me about how much you loved it. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great garden!
    nice to be with you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful flower pics. Your jewelry is pretty too. oxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful place of reflection here ! Have a great week !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that painting! Would love some of those flowers in our garden! Beautiful!

    Happy Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well said. There is something about gardening that makes it so easy to think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely post. are you making a necklace in the last shot?

    ReplyDelete
  12. wonderful post -- thank you for the thoughts and the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. great post! and i know exactly what you mean. i totally lose myself "in the zone" all the time... besos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Allison, I like how your places of reflection are somewhat active--gardening and making jewelry. You ARE a butterfly! How beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely post and beautiful photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your husband had a very nice thought: familiar things can be very comforting when far away from home! I'm surprised that working with metals and stones is tedious work (jewellery making used to be one of my dreams): why's that? Love the Anna Maria Horner table cloth.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what makes blogging fun for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails